The fungus tends to thrive under certain conditions, such as abnormal pH levels of the skin, a weakened immune system, continuous exposure to a moist environment including sweaty shoes and socks, poor hygiene and diabetes.
If left untreated, toenail fungus can cause cracking, splitting and even complete loss of the toenail. The good news is that toenail fungus is curable and can be treated inexpensively. Various natural home remedies can cure the infection in one or two months.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of toenail fungus. If the condition is painful or spreading further then do consult your doctor.
1. Apple Cider VinegarApple cider vinegar is mildly acidic and can help prevent toenail fungus from spreading. At the same time, it kills bacteria and fungi.
● Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. Soak your toenail in this solution for 30 minutes daily. When done, dry your toenail thoroughly. When used daily for a few weeks, you will notice improvement very quickly.
● Another option is make an antifungal exfoliating scrub by some coarsely ground rice flour with a few spoons of apple cider vinegar. Apply this paste on and around the affected nail and gently scrub the area. Do this a few times a week. This remedy will also help get rid of dead skin cells and keep your skin soft.
2. Tea Tree OilTea tree oil has antiseptic as well as antifungal properties that help a lot in the treatment of toenail fungus. This oil is also used to treat other kinds of skin infections.
1. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in one teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil.
2. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected toenail.
3. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then use a toothbrush to gently scrub the affected nail.
4. Do this two or three times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
3. Baking SodaBaking soda is a readily available staple in most kitchens that can also be used to cure toenail fungus. It will also help neutralize foot odor.
Add one-half cup of baking soda, one-fourth cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide and one-half cup of Epsom salt to four cups of hot water. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, and then add one-fourth cup of white vinegar to it.
Soak the affected toenail in this solution for about 10 minutes.
Wash with clean water and dry your foot thoroughly.
Repeat the process twice daily for several weeks.
4. White VinegarWhite vinegar is one of the best ingredients for treating toenail fungus because it fights the infection and helps restore the skin’s pH.
1. Mix one part of white vinegar with two parts of warm water.
2. Soak the affected toenail in this solution for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Rinse it off and dry the affected area thoroughly.
4. Repeat twice daily until the fungus is gone.
Note: If your skin becomes irritated, add more water to the solution and repeat the process every other day instead of daily.
5. Oil of OreganoOil of oregano has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral, analgesic and antifungal properties. This makes oregano oil an effective treatment for toenail fungus.
1. Mix two drops of oil of oregano in one teaspoon of olive oil.
2. Apply this mixture on the affected.
3. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
4. Then, rinse it off and dry your toes thoroughly.
5. Repeat once or twice daily for three weeks to see positive results.